Tobacco Free Florida in Escambia County (TFF-Escambia)
- 850-595-6500, Extension: 1830 and 1831
Fairfield Service Center, 1295 West Fairfield Drive, Pensacola, Florida 32501
The Tobacco Free Florida in Escambia County (TFF-Escambia) Program spearheads tobacco use prevention, social norm and policy change, and cessation initiatives for the entire Escambia County community.
The Program provides tobacco prevention education and social norm change materials tailored to the needs of your school, organization or facility.
Tobacco Free Escambia coordinates efforts for the following:
- Students Working Against Tobacco (SWAT)
- Students Ending Tobacco
- Smoke-Free Multi-Unit Housing
- Employer Cessation Policies
- Healthy Environments Are Tobacco-free (HEAT)
- Community and school tobacco prevention education & Campus Policies
- And various other social norm and policy change initiatives.
Learn the statistics: Florida Youth Tobacco Survey Statewide Tables
Please join us for the next Healthy Environments are Tobacco-free Partnership Meeting
Tue, Sep 29, 2020
3:30 PM - 4:30 PM (CDT)
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States (Toll Free): 1 866 899 4679
United States: +1 (571) 317-3116
Access Code: 910-583-333
Join from a video-conferencing room or system.
Dial in or type: 22.214.171.124 or inroomlink.goto.com
Meeting ID: 910 583 333
Or dial directly: firstname.lastname@example.org or 126.96.36.199##910583333
ENDS* – better known as e-cigarettes – are dangerous devices that have become popular among Florida’s youth. Not much is known about what e-cigarettes do to the body. SWAT plays an important role in educating Florida’s youth on these products and empowering them to live a tobacco free life. To help inspire community change, here is a guide to talk to other students about the dangers – both known and unknown – of e-cigarettes.
*ENDS – Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
There is a problem with misinformation regarding the safety (or lack thereof) of ENDS
Common incorrect assumptions:
- E-liquid is safe (“flavored water”)
- ENDS aerosol/emissions are safe
- If there is no nicotine in e-liquid, it is safe
- ENDS are a safe alternative to conventional cigarettes
- The ENDS industry is completely different than the cigarette industry
- Dangerous chemicals can be found in e-liquids, particularly in certain flavors
- ENDS companies are playing on youths’ feeling of invincibility
- ENDS are new tobacco products, so many of the ingredients and their effects on your body are unknown (fear of the unknown)
- Some of the most popular ENDS products are owned by Big Tobacco companies – the same companies that lied about the harmful nature of cigarettes
SWAT is called upon once again to be the truth tellers and fact messengers
Point of Sale
Big Tobacco spends billions marketing to our communities at the point of sale. Big tobacco spends over $8 billion dollars a year marketing cigarettes alone in the U.S. SOURCE: Federal Trade Commission. Federal Trade Commission Cigarette Report for 2015. Washington: Federal Trade Commission, 2017 From influencers to flavors, tobacco executives use tricky tactics to reach their target audience.
From the moment a young person walks into a store, the point-of-sale (POS) begins. Tobacco companies unreasonably target specific demographic groups such as youth, racial and ethnic minorities, and those of low income or education. Marketing of tobacco products is purposely designed to recruit smokers at an early age and maintain current smokers.
Point of Sale Infographic(603 KB: pdf)
Students Working Against Tobacco (SWAT)
SWAT is Florida's statewide youth organization working to mobilize, educate and equip Florida youth to revolt against and de-glamorize Big Tobacco. SWAT is a united movement of empowered youth working towards a tobacco free future.
The mission is simple: Share the facts and let you decide for yourself.
SWAT empowers Florida youth to educate their peers about the manipulative tactics of Big Tobacco, so that together we can take a stand and make a change for the next generation.
Now that you know a little more about us, it is time to help FIGHT BACK and save a generation of Floridians from tobacco addiction. You must be in middle or high school to join. Call 850-595-6506 to find out what you can do to be a part of the movement.
Visit the official SWAT website to access the facts or to learn more about the statewide movement.
Healthy Environments are Tobacco-Free (HEAT)
The partnership meets every other month to:
- Reduce tobacco use
- Reduce our county’s youth initiation rate
- Protect all residents from second-hand smoke exposure
Upcoming events and current tobacco issues and trends are also discussed. Meetings are open to the public.
For more information, please contact the Escambia County Tobacco Prevention Specialist at 850-595-6500. ext. 1830.
Smoke-Free Multi-Unit Housing
Throughout the State of Florida, owners of apartment buildings and duplexes have begun to offer smoke-free units as an amenity for their residents. For additional information or to schedule a meeting about developing a smoke-free policy for your property, please call the Florida Department of Health in Escambia County’s (FDOH-Escambia) Tobacco Prevention and Control Program staff at 850-595-6506 or 850-595-6072.
Quit Your Way
Quitting is one of the most important things you will ever do for yourself and the ones you love. Here are a few good reasons to quit using tobacco products:
- Once you quit, you will have a chance to live longer and a better quality of life.
- Your chances of having a heart attack, stroke, or cancer will decrease.
- If you are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant, you will improve your chances of having a healthy baby.
- The people who live with you, especially your children, will be healthier. Exposure to second-hand smoke increases the likelihood of bronchitis and pneumonia and increases the frequency and severity of childhood asthma.
- You will have extra money to spend on other things like food, clothes, or vacations.
If you have tried to quit smoking, you know how difficult it can be. But we are here to help.FDOH-Escambia offers a FREE, 1 time, 2-hour “Quit Smoking Now” clinic to help Escambia County residents kick the habit. The program is supported by the Tobacco Free Florida in Escambia County Program and taught by West Florida Area Health Education Centers (WFAHEC) personnel. FDOH-Escambia classes are taught on the 3rd Tuesday of each month.
Community Classes (132 KB; pdf)
For FREE quit counseling and nicotine patches, contact the Florida Quitline at 877-822-6669/1-877-U-CAN-NOW. You may also visit the Tobacco Free Florida website where you can link up with a Quit Coach, sign up for Group Quit classes, and learn facts about cessation and upcoming events.
Location & Contact Information
Northside Service Center
8390 North Palafox
Pensacola, FL 32534
The TFF-Escambia office is open
Monday - Friday from 8 AM to 4:30 PM.
For more information call
850-595-6500, Extension: 1830 and 1831