The term “public health” means different things to different people. Oftentimes people associate public health with school vaccinations. However, the field of public health is much broader.
The Florida Department of Health in Escambia County (DOH-Escambia) is a multicultural organization of public health professionals. Since 1821, this health care organization has consistently served the local community. DOH-Escambia aims to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts. To learn more about us please read our Mission, Vision, Values (2.2mb; jpg) and Organizational Profile (282.3kb; pdf).
DOH-Escambia currently provides the following services:
- Vaccinations to protect children and adults against disease.
- Home visits to pregnant women and new moms.
- Investigations to control outbreaks of infectious diseases.
- Birth and death certificate issuance.
- Clinical services to meet the special needs of women and children.
- Dental services.
- Nutritional services for expectant new mothers.
- Septic tank inspections.
- Inspections and permits for various public-use facilities.
- Public information and inspiration to improve health.
- School health nurses.
When the above services are combined Escambia County residents are provided with the Ten Essential Public Health Services. Learn more about DOH-Escambia by exploring our website. Also, feel free to submit a question or concern. We are committed to continuous improvement and superior service.