skip to content

It's a New Day in Public Health.

The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, & community efforts.

skip to content

Community Health Status

Contact Us

Many people think of the health care system (clinical care) as the most important factor when discussing the health of a community. In fact, health care accounts for only 20 percent of those things that determine our health. The remaining 80 percent is divided evenly between personal behaviors and socioeconomic status. The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) developed this model to assess communities across the nation on factors that contribute to the health of a community. 

Health behaviors, such as tobacco use, poor nutrition, sedentary lifestyles, and risky sexual behaviors, account for 30 percent of the factors affecting community health. Social and economic factors, such as poverty, education, race, community culture, and social support system, contribute another 40 percent. The remaining 20 percent is the physical environment, which includes water and air quality,  the number of parks and sidewalks in our community, transportation and neighborhood planning that supports walking and biking, and access to healthy foods in all neighborhoods.

Community Health Assessment 

To better understand the problems facing our community, a health assessment is completed every three years. Led by the Live Well Partnership for a Healthy Community with support from FDOH- Escambia and Santa Rosa, the assessment includes input from residents, an analysis of data on morbidity and mortality, and discussions with community leaders to identify emerging trends and prioritize actions to address the community’s health problems. 

Completed in March 2016, the 2016 Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) was conducted by following the Mobilizing for Action through Planning and Partnerships (MAPP) framework. Escambia  and Santa Rosa counties adopted a unique approach by combining resources and reviewing health issues across both counties.

Community Health Needs Assessment 2016

Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP) 

A summary of the health assessment and priorities was published on the Live Well and Florida Department of Health websites and distributed to community organizations through email. Community  members from both Escambia and Santa Rosa counties were invited to participate in roundtable discussions to identify activities that would capitalize on the strengths in each community and address the gaps in services and barriers to optimal health. More than 100 people attended the roundtable discussions. Once the priorities were finalized, work groups with representatives from both counties were formed to identify community resources and develop specific goals and objectives around the common priorities of unhealthy weight, tobacco use, and access to care.

FDOH Escambia Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP) 2016-2019

Location & Contact Information 

Fairfield Service Center
1295 West Fairfield Drive
Pensacola, FL 32501

The Community Health Planning office is open
Monday – Friday
8 AM to 5 PM.

Call 850-595-6500, Extension: 1801 for more information.