Public Health Preparedness
- 850-595-6683, Extension: 2201
Fairfield Service Center, 1295 West Fairfield Drive, Pensacola, FL, 32501
The Public Health Preparedness program writes and reviews many public health plans to protect all people in Escambia County. The program assists many different community healthcare organizations by reviewing their comprehensive emergency management plans. Public Health Preparedness (PHP) staff serve as the Emergency Support Function 8 Lead at the Escambia County Emergency Operations Center. During disasters, these staff ensure adequate healthcare services are available, appropriate shelters for vulnerable populations are opened, and monitor the safety of the county's food and water supply. PHP staff provide many trainings and exercises throughout the year to ensure our staff are ready for any man-made or natural disaster affecting Escambia County.
Response to Natural Disasters and Emergencies
The Florida Department of Health in Escambia County (FDOH-Escambia) responds to disaster by:
- Being an active member of Escambia County’s Emergency Operations Center that coordinates the health and medical response to all disasters including hurricanes.
- Ensuring safety of food and water supplies during and after a disaster.
- Preventing the spread of communicable diseases.
Response to Terrorism
In the aftermath of the September 11th terrorist attack, Florida Governor Jeb Bush directed and approved the formation of seven “Regional Domestic Security Task Forces.” The task forces are responsible for:
- Improving Florida’s ability to detect and prevent potential terrorist threats.
- Training emergency responders and disaster response teams.
- Improving Florida’s response and recovery capabilities.
- Promoting better public awareness of suspicious incidents.
- Responding should an emergency situation develop.
Disaster Supply Kit Checklist (1661 KB; pdf)
Before the Storm (205 KB; pdf)
After the Storm (336 KB; pdf)
Special Needs Shelter Information (124 KB; pdf)
All Hazards Guide (414 KB; pdf)
Radiological Incidents and the Florida Physician (180kb; pdf)
PRND MD Presentation (10.1mb; ppt)
NCRP FCHPS June 2019 (31 MB; ppt)
10 Rules for Emergency Responders (97kb; pdf)
10 Rules for the Public and Citizen Responder (61kb; pdf)
Emergency Preparedness in School
Recovering From a Natural Disaster in College
Location & Contact Information
Fairfield Service Center
1295 West Fairfield Drive
Pensacola, FL, 32501
The PHP office is open
from 8 AM to 5 PM.
For more information call
850-595-6683, Extension: 2201
Connect with DOH