Downtown Service Center, 1300 West Gregory Street, Pensacola, FL 32501
The Florida Department of Health Escambia County Health Department (DOH-Escambia) has joined the international Meatless Monday campaign! We’re encouraging you to eat meatless for one day a week. Keep reading for information about why and how to eat less meat!
What is Meatless Monday?
Meatless Monday is a world-wide campaign that encourages eating less meat for personal health and the health of the planet. Community efforts around the globe are encouraging people to go meatless for one day a week to improve personal well-being and create a healthier environment.
Learn how and why the international campaign started at www.MeatlessMonday.com.
Meatless Monday can help you take small, manageable steps toward a healthier lifestyle. Use this information to make choices that are right for you and your family. Try eating less meat in a way that works for you – plan one meatless meal a week or make a pledge to go meatless for an entire day!
Eating less meat can help you, your family, and your community. Read about the valuable benefits below.
For Your Health
- Curb obesity. Reducing meat consumption can help lower your body weight and prevent long-term weight gain.
- Reduce risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and cancer. Animal proteins usually contain saturated fat. This type of fat can cause high cholesterol and increase your risk for heart disease. Eating red meat is associated with an increased risk of stroke, cancer, and type 2 diabetes.
- Improve your diet with a variety of proteins. Plant-based proteins are healthy substitutes for meat because they are naturally high in fiber and low in saturated and total fat. Consuming a variety of lean proteins also increases the variety of vitamins and minerals in your diet. You can easily satisfy protein needs while eating less meat.
For the Environment
- Help slow climate change. Meat production plays a major role in greenhouse gas emissions and climate change. Reducing the demand for meat can help reduce emissions and slow climate change. Eating less meat helps reduce your personal carbon footprint!
- Minimize water usage. It takes almost 10 times more water to produce one pound of beef than it does to produce one pound of tofu.
- Help reduce fossil fuel dependence. Fossil fuels include coal, oil, and natural gas. These resources take millions of years to make and aren’t renewable – once they’re gone, they’re gone. It takes about 20 times more fossil fuel energy to make one calorie of beef than it does to make one calorie of plant protein.
Many people think of Monday as a fresh start. It's the day we return to a structured, planned schedule after the weekend. Studies show that behaviors started on Monday influence how we act and feel the rest of the week, making it a perfect day for a healthy change.
Go Meatless, Save Money
Going meatless once a week is good for your budget, too! Replacing ground beef, chicken, seafood, and other types of meat with healthy protein alternatives can lower your grocery bill and save you money.
Read these articles by the Monday Campaigns to learn more about going meatless and saving cash:
Monday Campaigns Research (359.22kb; pdf)
Meatless Monday Powerpoint (2.06mb; pdf)
Meatless Monday Swap Chart (136.21kb; pdf0
Protein Tip Sheet (523.19kb; pdf)
Location & Contact Information
Downtown Service Center, 1300 West Gregory Street
The CHEN office is open Monday - Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM. Call 850-426-5498 for more information.