Drain and Cover: Protect Yourself from Mosquito Bites
- 850-595-6500, Extension: 1801
Fairfield Service Center, 1295 West Fairfield Drive, Pensacola, Florida 32501
Drain and Cover to protect yourself from mosquito bites and the dangerous diseases they carry.
Drain standing water from:
- Garbage Cans
- Pool Covers
- Flower Pots
- Buckets and Watering Cans
- Kiddie Pools
Practice these tips to avoid mosquito breeding:
- Discard old tires, bottles, pots, broken appliances, and other items that may collect water.
- Empty and clean birdbaths and pets’ water bowls at least twice a week.
- Remove leaves and other items that can hold small amounts of water.
- Protect boats and vehicles from rain with tarps that do not accumulate water.
- Maintain swimming pools in good condition and with appropriate chlorination.
These simple steps can prevent mosquitoes from living and multiplying around your home.
Cover your skin with clothing or insect repellent to avoid mosquito bites.
- Choose insect repellents that contain DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, or IR3535.
- Always follow the directions on the product you are using.
- Apply repellent whenever you are going outdoors. Even if you do not notice mosquitoes there is a good chance they are around.
- Re-apply repellent if you are bitten by mosquitoes, or after sweating or getting wet.
- For children, spray your hands first and then rub the repellent on the child’s skin. Use mosquito netting for children under two months of age.
Learn more about mosquito-borne diseases:
Drain and Cover Poster/Flyer (2.4 MB; jpg)
Escambia County Mosquito Control Division: 850-937-2188
West Nile Virus Fact Sheet (30.9kb; pdf)
Location & Contact Information
Fairfield Service Center, 1295 West Fairfield Drive
The CHEN office is open Monday - Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM. Call 850-595-6500, Extension 1801 for more information.