Emergency Preparedness and Response
- 850-595-6683, Extension: 2001
Downtown Service Center, 1300 West Gregory Street, Pensacola, FL 32501
Emergency Preparedness and Response provides operational and tactical level planning to support preparation, response, and recovery from natural and man-made disasters. Planners work closely with other health department divisions to ensure efforts are coordinated and unified.
Response to Natural Disasters and Emergencies
The Florida Department of Health in Escambia County (DOH-Escambia) responds to disaster by:
- Being an active member of Escambia County’s Emergency Operations Center that coordinates the response to all disasters including hurricanes.
- Ensuring safety of food and water supplies during and after a disaster.
- Preventing the spread of communicable diseases.
Response to Terrorism
In the aftermath of the September 11th terrorist attack, Florida Governor Jeb Bush directed and approved the formation of seven “Regional Domestic Security Task Forces.” The task forces are responsible for:
- Improving Florida’s ability to detect and prevent potential terrorist threats.
- Training emergency responders and disaster response teams.
- Improving Florida’s response and recovery capabilities.
- Promoting better public awareness of suspicious incidents.
- Responding should an emergency situation develop.
The DOH-Escambia’s Director is the Regional Public Health and Medical Co-Chair. The health department works with health and medical facilities to develop a unified response plan. Medical professionals receive education about biological, chemical, radiological and nuclear threats.
All Hazards Guide (414kb; pdf)
Radiological Incidents and the Florida Physician (180kb; pdf)
PRND MD Presentation (10.1mb; ppt)
10 Rules for Emergency Responders (97kb; pdf)
10 Rules for the Public and Citizen Responder (61kb; pdf)
UWF Biology Grand Rounds Sept 2015 (20.53 MB)
RSNA 2016 Presentation (2.35 MB, pdf)
Location & Contact Information
Downtown Service Center, 1300 West Gregory Street
The PSR office is open Monday-Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM. Call 850-595-6683, Extension: 2001 for more information.